One of the most frequently asked questions I get is how to uninstall McAfee or Norton antivirus and security products. Maybe its because trial versions of these products were preinstalled when the customer purchased the computer, or maybe you want to uninstall McAfee and install another antivirus software product.
Some computer users try to install an antivirus product and they are told to uninstall McAfee before they can proceed even though it appears McAfee is not running on the system.
Follow the instructions below to safely remove McAfee security products including their antivirus and firewall from your computer.
Removal through the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel
Most of the time, you can simply remove McAfee products through the Add/Remove Control Panel.
1) Click on Start, Click on Control Panel
2) Double-click on Add or Remove Programs
3) Find the Network Associates or McAfee product listed and click on it.
4) Click on Change/Remove
5) You’ll see a screen , Place a checkmark next to each McAfee product you wish to remove and click Remove
6) You’ll see a warning message, comfirm you want to remove
7) .The removal process will start showing each program being removed, then it will ask to restart the computer. Go ahead and reboot after the removal process is finished.
8) After rebooting McAfee should be removed from your system.
Some times the normal uninstall may not remove it, try the automatic uninstall instructions below to remove McAfee security products.
Removing McAfee Automatically
McAfee has an automatic removal program to remove the following software products when the normal removal methods fail. However It does not work with Windows 98 or Windows ME. The removal tool deletes all traces of the following products in Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Home and Professional, and Windows Vista.
• McAfee Security Center
• McAfee VirusScan
• McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
• McAfee Privacy Service
• McAfee SpamKiller
• McAfee Wireless Network Security
• McAfee SiteAdvisor
• McAfee Data Backup
• McAfee Network Manager
• McAfee Easy Network
• McAfee AntiSpyware
Download the McAfee Removal Tool and run it to remove the above programs.
1. Use the following link to download the MCPR removal tool
2. Click Save and save the file to your desktop
3. Close all McAfee Application windows you may have open, and double-click on MCPR.exe to start the removal tool. Windows Vista users will have to right-click on the file and select “Run as Administrator”
4. After the removal tool finishes, you should be prompted to restart your computer.
5. Once the computer restarts, your McAfee product should be uninstalled.
6. If for any reason there appears a red X during the uninstall, go to the following location for more advanced uninstall instructions involving the registry.
Extra Optional Steps
1. Open My Computer, double-click on Drive C
2. Double-click on Program Files
3. Look for any McAfee product folders that remain. Right-click on them and choose Delete
4. Close My Computer and other folders
And for those with the same problem with other Antivirus Programs try the following Removal Instructions;